Monday, June 22, 2009

10 Things I Think I Think


1. I think the biggest concern for the ICE this summer is what 20-year-old Ty Stephens will do this season. As has been mention here for the last few months there is a strong chance he will forgo his last year of eligibility to go to school. The feeling I get is there is about a 5% chance he will play in the WHL.
2. I think my prediction Brent Sutter is returning to the WHL will be shot down as it appears he will coach the Calgary Flames. Look for Ryan McGill to be an assistant and maybe even Dave Lowry on the coaching staff.
3. I think the best marketing tool for the WHL as they battle to get players to play in the league is their amazing collection of coaches. Kids in
the WHL are getting NHL type guidance.
4. I think the biggest surprise from last weeks WHL AGM’s was the announcement that within 3 years all WHL teams will have jumbo-tron type score clocks. As a result all fans will eventually have replays. That creates new jobs as it takes a staff to run the cameras and the studios.
5. I think at the NHL Draft this weekend the Islanders will select John Tavares 1st overall. Giants’ Evander Kane will be the 1st WHL player selected at 4th overall to Atlanta. Wheat Kings’ Brayden Schenn will go 5th to Los Angeles. Chiefs’ Jared Cowen 8th overall to Dallas.
6. I think the ICE could have anywhere from 1-4 players selected. For the sake of making shot in the dark predictions I’ll say Brayden McNabbwill go in the 2nd round to Philadelphia, Nathan Lieuwen 4th round to New Jersey, Hayden Rintoul 6th round to Chicago and Kevin King 7th round to Toronto.
7. I think the ICE will select a defenseman in next weeks Import Draft. Another shot in the dark with no inside information.
8. I think I’m not surprised the WHL will keep the Conference playoff system instead of switching back to the divisional format. Plus they have extended the format another 5 years. It’s the best way to make sure the teams with the best records make the playoffs.
9. I think I’d like a rule change in which all games start at 7 and all Sunday games start at 2.
10. I think these are my non-hockey thoughts.
a) I think there is no chance of me going to twitter. A blog is enough. Would be great to have all 22 play-by-play guys to have a blog. I believe we are halfway there.
b) I think it’s time to stockpile some books to read on those long road trips. Any recommendations? I don’t like fiction.
c) I think I need someone to show me how to podacst on a PSP. The instructions on the internet aren’t helping.