Thursday, May 7, 2009

10 Things I Think I Think

1. I think the only thing that bothers me in the hockey playoffs coverage is the statement "Let's hope the refs put away their whistles and let the players decide the game. They shouldn't be a factor in what type of game it will be". Isn't the fact they aren't calling penalties dictating the type of game that is be played as well? The games where the officials let the games turn into a clutch and grab affair is when I switch the channel.
2. I think Jim Basille's attempt to buy the Phoenix Coyotes will not happen. He is being criticized for not going through the proper channels but it's obvious the NHL doesn't want him. No matter what route he takes it appears there will be huge road blocks. Basille is a huge hockey fan with incredibly deep pockets. I'm not sure if another hockey team in Southern Ontario would work but it can't be any worse that Phoenix.
3. I think it was disappointing to hear Dale Derkatch was fired after being the Regina Head Coach for 1 year. He was a great person to visit with and I am sure he learned a lot in his 1st season but will not get a chance to fulfill the last 2 years of his contract.
4. I think I'm like most people and like to hear all the rumours on who could be the next coach for teams like Regina and Everett. Being in the media I always wonder what that fine line is as to when it's okay to speculate and how much information you need to make it okay to talk about these rumours.
5. I think the contrasting styles of NHL coverage between CBC and TSN shows there is no exact system as to how to cover a hockey game. The most entertaining part of the playoffs has been listening to Bob Cole get frustrated as his colour commentator Greg Millen changes his opinion 3-4 times during a replay. Bob Cole, clearly exasperated, finally jumps in "Whatever. He's gone for two minutes."
6. I think there will 2 high scoring teams winning the OHL & QMJHL titles. Windsor and Drummondville have been dominant in their playoff runs.
7. I think Kelowna beating Calgary would be one of the bigger upsets in recent WHL Finals. Not that the Rockets aren't worthy, it's just how Calgary seemed to be unstoppable. Imagine if Luke Schenn did play for Kelowna all year. But you can't forget the Rockets had some things fall in their lap as well over the past 2 years. Getting Backlund after it seemed he wasn't going to ever play in the WHL. Jamie Benn left his NCAA route last year. While most top American products stay in the USA, the Rockets got Colin Long to play for them. Tysen Dowzak started the year in the AHL and then returned to the WHL.
8. I think it's time to update the ICE Alumni in the AHL Playoffs. Jason Jaffray and Manitoba are already in the Final 4. Brad Lauer and Milwaukee trail Houston 2-1. Dean Arsene and Hershey are up 2-1 vs Wilkes-Barre. Taylor Dakers, Riley Armstrong and Worcester are down 2-0 to Providence.
9. I think there is only 1 ICE Alumni left in the ECHL post season. Steve Makway and Las Vegas are in the Conference Finals against Alaska, while Cincinnati will meet South Carolina.
10. I think these are my non-hockey thoughts.
a) I think it's been a long time since people have talked about horse racing but the 50-1 shot winning the Kentucky Derby created a few conversations this week.
b) I think I want to see the new Star Trek movie. I am not a Trekkie. Not that there's is anything wrong with that. I remember watching a few of the original episodes Saturday afternoons on CBC. Have only seen 1 of the major movies. But the the trailers looks great. Advertising works.
c) I think it'll be great to return to Safeco Field next week. Last year our family accidentally left behind some souvenirs under our seats. After I sent an e-mail to their office to let them know our dilemma I didn't expect response. 1 week later we received all of our stuff in the mail. Great customer service and will always promote the fact there are only an 8-hour drive from Cranbrook.
d) I think I can't wait for summer but will miss those Monday nights with new episodes of House & 24. I hear next year 24 will be done in New York. Oops is that speculation?