1. Is there a battle for the back-up goalie spot? With Mackenzie Skapski at New York Rangers camp Wyatt Hoflin (18) and Jayden Sittler (17) will play in the 3 preseason games in Tri City later this week.
2. I think the ICE are hoping Rinat Valiev gets his Canadian visa very soon and can be a top 4 defenseman. Jagger Dirk and Tanner Faith are the only returning defenseman who played in the top 4 last year.
3. On that note, will the ICE try to fill their over-age opening with a defenseman?
4. I know it’s only training camp but Sam Reinhart was dominant with 10 goals, many assists and it seemed like a scoring chance on every shift in 4 scrimmages at camp.
5. The most noticeable prospect was 17-year-old forward Zachary Zborosky. Great skater, great skill, had the finishing touch at the net and responsible defensively.
6. The ICE will also add some size as prospect Hudson Elynuik is already 6’4” 172 lbs and doesn’t turn 16 until October 12th.
7. I think the ICE are excited with the skating and puck movement skills of their young defensemen Jordan Steenbergen, Troy Murray and Dylan Overdyk.
8. While ICE selected 2 defensemen with their first 2 picks in the 2012 Draft, they took 2 forwards with their top 2 picks in 2013. Jared Legien seemed to play his best towards the end of camp. On Draft Day Director of Scouting Garnet Kazuik told us they had Vince Loschiavo rated as a first round prospect and were very happy when they had a chance to take him in the second round. He was very noticeable throughout the whole camp with speed, skills and goals, goals, goals.
9. I think the ICE are really looking forward to the preseason. It’s always a great measuring stick to play against other teams. Some players seem to play better in the structure of the games as opposed to the scrimmages.
10. The ICE regular season roster is historically at 22 players. The roster is now at 27, not including Valiev and the potential to add another over-ager. It looks like it’s another year of tough decisions with the final cuts, which of course is a good thing.