Monday, October 12, 2009

10 Things I Think I Think

10 Things I Think I Think is a creation of SI NFL writer Peter King. His Monday Morning Quarterback articles every week are must read for all football fans at si.com. In a tribute to him, which is a nice way of saying I stole his concept, here is my 10 for this week.

1. I think it was great to see Steve DaSilva, Chad Greenan and Andrew Bailey in Saskatoon during the long road trip. Always a pleasure to see former players show up to the ICE games. They play for the U of S and their bus ran into a moose on their way back from a road trip. The bus survived but the team had to wait for a new bus to take them the rest of the way home. DaSilva has always been a big supporter of the blog especially the 10 Things.
2. I think the East Division is not as unbalanced as the experts said it would be. The ICE have played everyone except Regina and it looks to be a competitive division. Blades are the most complete team at this point.
3. I think what I learned in my interview with Raider play-by-play announcer Drew Wilson is that Prince Albert needs a winning season to get the fans back in the building. They finished last in attendance last year and are off to an alarming slow start at the gate. It's a great hockey town and they will turn things around.
4. I think what I learned in my interview with Blades play-by-play announcer Les Lazaruk is that ticket sales for the WJHC are going slow but with some new ticket packages just released they should have huge crowds. The renovated Credit Union Centre will be able to seat over 15,000 fans once completed.
5. I think what I learned in my interview with Wheat Kings play-by-play announcer Bruce Luebke is that Brandon is installing 7 luxury boxes at the rink and they're all bigger than his house.
6. I think what I learned in my interview with Warriors play-by-play announcer James Gallo is that the new Moose Jaw arena is 2 years away from completion. I think they have to have something named after former Warriors announcer Rob Carnie in the new building. Give him a luxury box and call it Carnie's Corner. Install a stereo system and it would blast great music all night.
7. I think it feels like the 80's seeing Everett score 10 goals on Sunday and Medicine Hat getting 12 on Monday. Those who watched the WHL 20 years ago remember those kind of nights happening on a regular basis.
8. I think there will be 4 trades in the WHL this week. All of them involving over-agers as the league deadline to be down to 3 20-year-olds is Thursday.
9. I think the ICE should be able to add an impact player with their 3rd overager.
10. I think these are my non-hockey thoughts.
a) Why don't all hotels have wireless internet?
b) It's tough watching sporting events on a TV that isn't a HD.
c) The best new website I have added to my bookmarks is tvshack.net.
d) I'm leaning towards an all Caifornia World Series ... Angles vs Dodgers. No ball caps with earflaps this year.
e) It was great for the ICE to have a huge Thangsgiving supper on Thursday in Elkhorn. The turkey didn't make them sleepy as they scored 7 goals the next night in Brandon.