Saturday, March 7, 2009

10 Things I Think I Think

1. I think the most amazing part of the ICE making the playoffs for the 11th year in a row, isn't the fact they have the 2nd youngest line-up in the league, not the fact they had so many long term injuries to key players and not the fact they traded for the future at the trade deadline. It's was the tough schedule. 8 games against Calgary, 6 each vs Medicine Hat & Lethbridge and 4 each vs Saskatoon, Brandon & Swift Current. Plus 5 against Spokane.
2. I think travel will be the key topic of the ICE 1st round opponent. 10-hour drive to Saskatoon. 14-hour trip with a 1-hour time difference with Brandon. (plus if there is a game 7 it would be played in Winnipeg, 16 hour drive) Even if they move up to play Swift Current it's a 7-hour drive. No matter who they play the format will be 2-2-1-1-1 and not 2-3-2.
3. I think if I was Prince Albert, Edmonton, Regina or Red Deer I would like to see a crossover were teams could qualify for a playoff spot in the other conference. All 4 could be in a playoff spot in the West while only 1 will make it in the East.
4. I think it's been a while since we had a 50-goal man in the WHL Joel Broda has reached the plateau. Last reached by Justin Keller in 05-06. Eric Christensen and Nigel Dawes did it in 04-05.
5. I think the Vancouver Giants are finding it hard to have something to play for. They pretty well clinched a division and conference title weeks ago. They have suffered losses to Kelowna and Calgary in recent weeks and still can finish 1st overall.
6. I think the West is up for grabs after Tri City and Spokane have suffered some injuries in recent weeks. It's being kept secret as to how long Americans #1 goalie Chet Pickard is out. While the Chiefs have lost defensemen Jared Cowen and Trevor Glass.
7. I think it has opened the door for Kelowna who has as 16-3-0-1 record in their last 20 games. Their losses have been to Red Deer, Chilliwack, Portland and Seattle. 3 of those 4 will miss the playoffs.
8. I think the WHL record for most road wins in a season will be broken this year. 99-00 Calgary set the mark at 28. Saskatoon has 28 road wins with 2 more to play. Vancouver has 27 with 2 more to play.
9. I think it shouldn't be a secret that the WHL will use video replay for goals in all WHL playoff games. Once the technology will be in place for all WHL arenas they can use it for all regular season games starting next season.
10. I think these are some non WHL thoughts.
(a) I think I can't wait for Monday's to watch 24 & House.
(b) I think it's disturbing to hear some NHL coaches and GM's laughing at how much media attention is now being given to the NHL trade deadline. I agree it's overboard but would the league rather have the media do nothing all week and just wait for a press release. Embrace the hype if it's giving your league more attention. In the USA the NHL gets less coverage than high school football.
(c) I think for this years' baseball draft I will be selecting a lot of the up and coming stars. All of the current ones have an alleged tainted reputation for using performance enhancing drugs and may not play the full season.