Monday, March 30, 2009

10 Things I Think I Think

1. I think the only thing the Kootenay ICE are disappointed about the playoffs is that they failed to win a game or two. Of course you always hope to win a series but I'm sure the organization was hoping the young team went through the experience of winning games in the post season.
2. I think it's no fun not seeing ICE hockey in April. It's going to be a long spring and summer.
3. I think it's no suprise Medicine Hat and Swift Current are going to a game 7. Both clubs are amung the oldest in the WHL so a 1st round loss will be a huge disappointment. Tigers have 15 18 & 19 year olds and the Broncos have 12 18 & 19 year olds.
4. I think it will also be a disappointing 1st round exit for Lethbridge or Saskatoon. Going into the season the Hurricanes were expected to challenge for the Championship and never got going in the regular season. The Blades have had their best season in 15 years and it may feel wasted if they don't advance. Whoever wins could end up in the East Final.
5. I think back in January I felt Seattle was the only team in the West who could pull off a 1st round upset. They and Everett were the only lower seeds to earn 1 win in the 4 1st round matchups.
6. I think now the West gets interesting. Vancouver vs Spokane and Tri City vs Kelowna. Who you got?
7. I think it's great to have video replay available in all WHL rinks but have to remember it's not perfect. There is 1 camera above each net. It's not like the NHL with 4-5 different camera angles. The 2 times it was used in the ICE/Wheat Kings series it didn't help. Game 2 it couldn't show if the puck was directed in with a hand. Game 3 the player who hit the puck with a high stick was not in camera view. It'll be great for disputes of it hitting the cross bar or the bar in the back of the net. Plus with the scoreclock on the screen there will be a few end of period calls made correctly.
8. I think it was suprising to hear the WHL admit there was a mistake in game 4 of the Lethbridge/Saskatoon, series. Blades led 1-0 in the 3rd period and Zach Boychuk's tying goal should have been ruled offside. I am not suprised the league informed the teams it was the wrong call, but am amazed the news was made public. Who told the media? Usually that is information shared by the league and teams only.
9. I think you will still being hearing information on the ICE in coming months. The Banam Draft is April 30th. ICE pick 13th. NHL Draft is in June Brayden McNabb, Nathan Lieuwen and Hayden Rintoul are the most likely to be selected. Maybe Kevin King in his 2nd year in the draft could be selected by an NHL team looking for a late bloomer.
10. I think these are my non-WHL thoughts.
(a) I think everyone wants spring. Right now doing yard work would be a pleasure. By July we'll be complaining about having to cut the lawn but right now we can't wait.
(b) I think it's tough to watch a TV show that's not in HD. I'd rather watch a bad show in HD than a good show that's not HD.
(c) I think if I wasn't in a baseball draft I wouldn't care that Jason Motte could be the Cardinals stopper and that the Mariners' Brandon Korrow not being a start is going to hurt my team.
(d) I think it's strange to congratulate Chris Zettel on winning the NCAA basketball pool even though there are still 3 games to be played.