Monday, November 2, 2009

10 Things I Think I Think

10 Things I Think I Think is a creation of SI NFL writer Peter King. His Monday Morning Quarterback articles every week are must read for all football fans at si.com. In a tribute to him, which is a nice way of saying I stole his concept, here is my 10 for this week.

1. I think the recent ICE games were as low scoring as some soccer games. The bad news is they scored 5 goals in their 5 game homestand. The good news is they still won 2 of the games. In their last 3 games the club gave up only 5 goals-against and 1 was into an empty. Make the final 1-nil.
2. I think the ICE will have to treat the Brayden McNabb injury like it’s the month of December and players’ are away for the WJHC. Many teams will be missing their top players for 4-6 weeks.
3. I think the next couple of weeks will be normal throughout the WHL. But starting at the end of the month there will be many distractions. At the end of the month there are the 2 WHL vs Russia games. Then in December there are WJHC camps. Then it’s the actual WJHC tournament. Don’t forget the U-17 tournament in December as well. The next few weeks will the last chance for all teams to have their complete teams together.
4. I think it’s surprising to see only 2 teams above .500 in the Central Division.
5. I think it’s surprising to see 5 teams above .500 in the East Division.
6. I think it’s going to be a great battle in the U.S. Division. Portland and Spokane looked great in games against the ICE and we have yet to see the 1st Place Americans. Everett has many games in hand and have a good team as well.
7. I think it was great to see Seattle goalie Calvin Pickard play at the Rec-Plex. He is expected to be a 1st round pick in the NHL Draft this summer. Not a spectacular netminder but plays his position so calmly. Played his angles great, challenged at the right time, anticipated well and no bad rebounds.
8. I think Saskatoon and Tri City have the best teams in the WHL right now. They both have won 11 of 12.
9. I think it was a learning experience to realize that the WHL Video Replay system doesn’t have microphones on the cameras. So if there is a dispute as to if the puck went into the net before the whistle, the replay can’t help and the referees’ decision is final.
10. I think these are my non-hockey thoughts.
a) This is when I start paying attention to the CFL. November football in Canada is the best especially when they play the game outdoors.
b) I can’t imagine how I lived without a PVR.
c) My copy of Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback is on back order so a personal review is still a few weeks away. Hopefully I’ll get it before football season is over.