Monday, October 6, 2008

10 Things I Think I Think

1. I think it's great the ICE players having been phoning each season ticket holder thanking them for their support. That's over 2,000 call to be made.
2. I think the best new website I have found is nhlnumbers.com.
3. I think hockey familys in Cranbrook have to remember their registration fees are lower because of the money Minor Hockey get from the 50/50 tickets at every ICE game. In 07-08 the total was almost $89,000. Over 10 years the total should be close to $1 million.
4. I think I was suprised to get Sidney Crosby in station draft with the 3rd pick. Malkin and Ovechkin went 1,2.
5. I think I still don't like games being decided in shootouts but I think they're still good for the game. Before there were overtimes and shootouts the last 10 minutes of a game was tough to watch if it was a tie game and both teams were afraid of losing a point. So they played careful and got the tie. Then overtime was added and both teams would still be careful not to lose point and at least get to overtime. Then in overtime they would be careful not to let the other team get the bonus point. Now with a shootout you know someone will get 2 points so most teams go for the win. It's made for better 3rd periods and overtimes. So what if you lose in the shootout, you don't really lose anything in the standings as you still get the point you would have had if the game stayed tied. Still must be tough to go in the dressing room after losing the shootout.
6. I think I'm glad I'm not a Cubs fan. It might be better to not make the playoffs than to have such a great year and get swept in the 1st round.
7. I think it's time to look at the ICE Franchise Record Book. Andrew Bailey is tied for 10th with 168 career points, tied for 8th with 29 career power-play goals and is 2nd with 3 regular season overtime goals. (4 Mike Busto) Dustin Sylvester is tied for 6th with 6 career shorthanded goals.
8. I think the ICE start to the season is reminding me of last year when they went 3-8-1-0. Then went 4-3-0-0, followed by winning 12 of the next 13 from November 2nd-December 2nd.
9. I think the funniest new sign at the Rec-Plex was the one near the penalty box "Are you pregnant ref. Because you've missed 2 periods".
10. I think it would be great if all the WHL teams could afford to have replays available for goals. They only do it in the league finals and Memorial Cup. Somehow the OHL has it for every game. But look at the money a team will lose if they miss the playoffs because of losing 1 point in the standings because of a disputed goal. If the NHL refs are supposed to be the best in the world and they need replays, shouldn't the developing officials in the WHL receive help as well?